|And now Tom takes us to the campus of Evangel University
Evangel University is a private, coeducational Christian university, drawing more than 2,000 students from all
50 states and abroad. Having earned the highest level of accreditation available, Evangel offers more than 80
programs in 10 academic departments. The 80-acre campus is located at 1111 North Glenstone in Springfield,
Completed in 1981, the Chapel seats 2,170
people. It is equipped with a Schantz pipe
organ, which was donated by the Evangel
University Auxiliary, a support
organization for the University.
The stained glass windows on the face of
the building were donated by Mr. Earl
Fester, in memory of his wife, Mary
Elizabeth. In 1994, Evangel’s Board of
Directors named the chapel for President
Robert H. Spence. For the time being,
however, the building will be called The
The Lawrence and Alletha Barnett Fine Arts Center, opened to student use for the Fall 2002 semester.
This state-of-the-art facility is home to the Music Department and the art and drama programs of the
Humanities Department. The Fine Arts Center features a magnificent 300-seat recital hall, a 250-seat
drama theatre, rehearsal and practice rooms, band and chorus rooms, faculty offices, production areas,
labs, classrooms, art studios and an art gallery.
The Fine Arts Center is connected to the west side of Evangel’s chapel by a concourse with skylights.
The ground breaking took place May 3, 2001, after a generous donation from the Barnett family, followed
by another donation from the Mabee Foundation, Tulsa, Oklahoma.
The 72,000 sq. ft., three-story academic building-was completed in January of 1997. It houses offices for:
Academic Support Center, Business and Economics, Degree Completion, Graduate Studies, Social
Sciences and Science and Technology.The facility is equipped with state-of-the-art labs, classrooms and a
153-seat lecture/recital hall.