|Tom turns south and shows us the SMS campus. No! That's not right.
It's Missouri State University now.
|Here Tom shows us a view of the west
parking lots and 2 of the student dormitories
|Above is a view of the West mall
The Myer Library -- Glass Hall -- Strong Hall -- The Hammond's Fountains -- The Myer Carillon
Missouri State University was founded in Springfield in 1905 as the Fourth District Normal School. During its early years,
the school's primary purpose was the preparation of teachers for the public school systems in southwest Missouri. The
school's first name change came in 1919 when it became the Southwest Missouri State Teacher College, reflecting the
institution's regional mission. By the mid-1940s, it had expanded beyond teacher education to include instructional
programs in the liberal arts and sciences; as a consequence, in 1945, the Missouri Legislature authorized an official name
change to Southwest Missouri State College. In the ensuing decades, with the implementation of more programs at the
undergraduate leveland the development of a graduate program, the College became and educationally diverse
institution. Recognition of this further growth and development resulted in yet another name change in 1972, to that of
Southwest State University. Finally on march 17, 2005 the 100th anniversary of Founders Day, Governor Matt Blunt sign
Senate Bill 98, which included changing Southwest Missouri State University's name to Missouri State University. Today
Missouri State University is a multipurpose, metropolitan university providing a broad array of instructional, research,
and service programs.
|With Residence Halls in the background, here is a view of one student parking area
|Facing east, just north of Grand Street we have a view of the Plaster Sports Complex.
|From the Grand Street parking area facing north west Tom shows us the stadium seating area.